For a startup and small and medium enterprises, the biggest challenge is finding the right candidate for entry-level blue-collar jobs. Gathering candidates that fit perfectly in the job profile and making a team that is aligned with the mission of the company and the long-term outlook of the stakeholders, can be a daunting task. Blue-collar hiring is not usually just about the qualification and valid work experience, but it also involves some factors that can be overlooked easily by the employer. This article is here to save the day. One thing we should internalize and understand is that there is no one ‘Universal Strategy’ for blue-collar hiring. This article combines the factors and pointers that can help entrepreneurs to hire smartly in 2022.
Before we get right into it, it is essential for us to understand the importance of finding the right candidate for the job openings.
Importance of hiring smartly this 2022:
Your startup is going to be as good as the people that work for it. The kind of people that a company hires basically establishes its brand personality. Let’s look at the reasons, why smart blue-collar hiring is essential:
- Business Growth: Smart hiring makes sure that the right candidate is matched with the right job opening further reducing the number of times hiring has to be carried out, making it more efficient. The growth of the right candidate and the business are interrelated and are directly proportional.
- Enhance time efficiency: Smart hiring makes the blue-collar hiring process less time-consuming. Once the right candidate is matched with an entry-level blue-collar job, then the need to hire for the same job opening again is eliminated.
- Improves cost-efficiency: Hiring smartly reduces the need to spend large amounts of budget on carrying out interviews and onboarding processes again and again.
- Enhanced Customer Engagement: Hiring smartly will ensure that you improve customer engagement and enhance customer service.
Now that the importance of hiring smartly for entrepreneurs is clear, let’s jump straight into the checklist that can help entrepreneurs achieve the above-mentioned benefits.
Checklist for Entrepreneurs to hire smartly in 2022:
- Hire Committed Candidates: Attrition is a big challenge that employers face. Hiring workers for entry-level blue-collar jobs should revolve around finding the right candidate with a high level of commitment. While conducting a time-consuming blue-collar hiring process, make sure that the candidates are judged based on loyalty, motivation, and commitment.
- Focus on finding the perfect fit: This does not necessarily involve finding the right fit based only on educational qualifications or number of years of experience, but other factors like handling pressure, coping with deadlines, etc. also have to be considered.
- Continuously improve the hiring process: Blue-collar hiring is not a one-time process that requires one-time efforts and investment, instead, it is a continuous process that needs to be upgraded regularly in line with the current industry standards. This helps in attracting the best available candidates out there and hiring the right candidates for your company.
- Be transparent about the vacancy: The most crucial thing in a blue-collar hiring process is transparency. Most online job portals offer different ways for employers to be completely transparent. These online recruitment portals allow the recruiters to post about all the details of the job vacancy so that only candidates that perfectly fit the requirement can apply. The details involve job profile, educational qualification, skills required, work experience, and practical knowledge. This will help the employer efficiently filter the right candidates and make the blue-collar hiring process more effective.
- Use Referrals: Blue-collar hiring through referrals is the most effective. Giving rewards to your existing workers for referring new workers who can contribute towards the growth of the organization, can help you make the most of this hiring method.
- Focus on mobile phones: In India, 74.8 crore people use mobile phones. This means that mobiles can be utilized for increasing the reach so that you have a larger pool of potential workers that you can pick from. Along with using online recruitment portals for entry-level blue-collar jobs, the online job portal must be optimized for mobile.
There you have it. Blue-collar hiring processes have been neglected for the longest time. With the advancements in technology that led to the introduction of online job portals and with the increase in demand for blue-collar workforce post-pandemic, the blue-collar hiring process is now of utmost importance. The whole hiring process can be time-consuming and ineffective sometimes, but with this checklist, you can increase the efficiency of your hiring process.